Monday, January 11, 2010

Life Skills - Bathroom training


Saturday took an unexpected, but pleasant twist. My kids ASKED to do life skills training a.k.a. chores. How could I say no to that? The skill - Clean the bathroom.
They got all jazzed and suited up in their cleaning aprons and I got out the cleaners. Then I went and sat in the bathroom on the side of the tub while I taught them. I would talk them throught how to do it. There were times that I had to show them the skill, then help guide their hands so they could get the muscle recognition. I also made sure that their quality was good. What good is teaching something if the quality is poor? I didn't seek perfection, just good work.

DD1 asked for toilet and bathtub training (I told her I was potty training her again. We both got a good laugh out of that :). DD2 asked for sink, counters, and mirror. They were both in charge of the floor. I was in charge of the shower walls.
The next time we do this, they will be doing the same things to solidify what they learned. Then when they are ready, they will switch and teach each other. When you are able to teach something, that shows that you really know it, and it further entrenches it in your own mind. (Learned that in education classes.)

They had done this once before during summer life skills training. However, I didn't expect them to remember all the details. In fact, I don't expect them to remember everything next time either. Most people take three times of being exposed to something to really learn it. Some people can take up to seven times. (I learned that in my education classes too.) With our kids I think it will be somewhere inbetween.

By the end their excitement waned, and so did my patience. However, we all knew this is expected and were able to help each other through it.

The end result? Their bathroom looked great, they were exausted, but very proud of themselves. Their score - 8 out of 10. Not perfect but actually pretty good.

I got the chore training idea from the book, "The Parenting Breakthrough" by Merrillee Boyack.
The cleaning method I use is, "Speed Cleaning" by Jeff Campbell. http://www.thecleanteam.com/

Aren't the pics great?! I LOVE to see our kids working and learning. I think they love it too - at least they keep asking for more. :)

1 comment: