Saturday, February 27, 2010

Super Cute (and cheap) Birthday Idea

My friend Maggie sent me this great idea. For her nephew's 5th birthday, she made him a number five shirt. She bought the shirt on clearance at Target for $0.75. Then she took an old stained shirt from one of her kids and used the non-stained back to cut out the number five. Here is what she said, "Here is my crafty effort! Would be easier with a sewing machine, but it's good to something with my hands during book club, other than eat!!" I looks great Maggie!! Thanks for this idea! I am going to do this for my girls this year.

**Home Ec Tips: If you are worried about the number moving around while you stitch here are some ideas. Safety pin it in main areas to hold it in place. You can also buy fusible interfacing if you want it to be stiffer and you can buy a double sided fusible interfacing to kind of glue it on before you stitch it. Also try to do some type of edge stitching (i.e. zigzag stitch or button hole stitch) to prevent the edges from curling if you want. No need to worry about frayed edges if working with t-shirt materials. Also, I'm not sure that a sewing machine would make this look better. Sewing in many directions on a knit fabric can be tricky.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw a similar shirt selling for $30 plus shipping! It wasn't nearly as great as this one either.

    ReplyDelete